Friday, September 01, 2006

Lacto-fermented Sauerkraut - adds needed enzymes and probiotics to your diet and is very high in Vitamin C.

Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods

Listen to NPR's, The Gut Is A Real Melting Pot

Ingredients: 1 large head organic green (I like to make a double batch combining 1 red and 1 green) cabbage (the fresher the better, it contains more water naturally), 1 1/2 Tablespoon NON-IODIZED salt per head of cabbage (iodine is antimicrobial and could inhibit fermentation)

Optional Ingredient: Fresh Chopped Dill

Optional - finely chop fresh dill and set aside.


Finely slice Cabbage.


Add salt to cabbage and toss to combine well.
I use unrefined GREY Sea Salt.


Fill a good quality zip lock bag with salted cabbage. Remove air, seal tightly, and pound gently for about 5 minutes. You do not want to break the bag and lose the juice so go very gently.


Empty the bag of pounded cabbage with juices into a glass or ceramic bowl. Repeat till all cabbage has been pounded.

Optional - add fresh chopped dill and combine.


Pack down tightly and cover with a plate.


Weight down the cabbage/plate with a gallon size ziplock bag 2/3 filled with water sealed securely with a rubber band. This weight adds pressure to help force the natural juices out of the cabbage.


Cover with a piece of cheesecloth.


Allow this to ferment on your counter top or cubbard, out of direct sun light for 1 to 3 weeks (in warm weather fermentation will proceed more quickly, in cool weather more slowly).

Check the kraut in 24 hours to be sure it is submerged in brine. If necessary, add 1 cup of CHLORINE FREE water(chlorine kills microorganisms and will inhibit fermentation) mixed with 1 teaspoon of salt. The fresher the cabbage, the more water it will contain naturally, and this step will not be necessary. The volume of the cabbage reduces as the fermentation proceeds. The brine should rise over cabbage so all cabbage is submerged. Check daily. Press down on plate when necessary.

Taste the kraut after 3 days it should start to get tangy, then will get stronger the longer you leave it to ferment. You can remove a portion of the kraut to start enjoying, but be sure to pack the remaining kraut down tightly again to continue fermenting.

Sometimes mold or foam will appear on the surface, just skim it off. Its just a surface phenomenon, a result of contact with the air. The kraut itself is under the anaerobic protection of the brine.

NO unpleasant smell should result from fermentation. Trust your nose to be your guide. If in doubt, compost your kraut and try again.

When done to your satisfaction, store in glass jars in the refrigerator. Eat at least 1 Tablespoon with each meal.

Other ingredients to try adding: garlic, seaweed, greens, herbs.

18 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Flash Virtual tours said...

Thanks alot.

I didn`t have a clue and now I do!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I will give this a try & keep you informed of my progress.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Antonia Krause Portrait Artist said...

A very delicious recipe is:

1 red cabbage

Juice from approximately 3 lemons

approximately 1 tsp. dry dill weed (optional)

Remove and wash outside leaves and reserve for placing over the chopped cabbage. In a food processor chop cabbage into tiny, slightly smaller than rice size pieces (not mushy). Mix with dill and lemon juice in a large glass or stainless steel container and pack tightly (no need to bruise). Lay the leaves on top of the mixture covering them. Place the gallon bag of water on top cover with lid, towel or cheese cloth for approximately three days and boy is it yummy. It is firmer more fresh tasting and has more texture than regular sauerkraut.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger shashank said...

Here is a link to more information about the genetics of Ankylosing Spondylitis that was prepared by our genetic counselor and which has links to some useful resource for those dealing with this condition: http://www.accessdna.com/condition/Ankylosing_Spondylitis/41. There is also a number listed for anyone who wants to speak to a genetic counselor by phone. I hope it helps. Thanks, AccessDNA

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Antonia Krause Portrait Artist said...

I have been on a starch free diet now for over a year and have had great success. Those sites, for me, are a thing of the past. None of the suggestions they give on those sites ever did much for me at all.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger carla said...

Hi. I have just been told I have AS, along with a lot of other things. I was never told my diet had anything to do with how I would feel, at least with the AS. I have a long history with medical problems. I am very interested in this low starch diet, for many reasons, but because I can't take anything for the AS. Here is my blog that might explain some of what I am going through as well.
http://laughandcry-carla.blogspot.com/

Hope to get to know you! Carla

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Antonia Krause Portrait Artist said...

hello Carla, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I have been doing the no starch diet now for about two years and it's done wonders for me. It is actually a very healthy way to eat and it's very heart friendly.

I also wanted to tell you about some other things that I'm doing that have changed mine and my husband's life. My osteoarthritis has also cleared up. below are my websites:www.amazingmagicwater.com and www.secondchance.teamasea.com

I hope to hear from you soon.

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger The Patients Voice said...

Please check out our lates AS blog

Getting diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis! A patient with Ankylosing Spondylitis tells her story! If you have any advice for somebody just diagnosed with any kind of arthritis please come and join us on the blog and tell your story?

http://www.patient-experience.com/index.php/hindsight-is-2020-getting-diagnosed-with-ankylosing-spondylitis/

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Great article. I wrote a blog detailing the steps I took to become pain free from AS and is very similar to your experience. http://treating-ankylosing-spondylitis-natur.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Scribbler said...

This is a wonderful wonderful blog. Thank you for this valuable information. It's enormously helpful for those who are taking their first steps down this disease's path.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger kishor said...

i want to download this video which have in the site , please send me the downloading process to my email id named kishorbhattji@gmail.com

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Mr B said...

Re. chlorine in water - all you have to do is boil the water!!

The chlorine gas in the water is released when the water is boiled.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081028003026AAZLf67

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Úrsula said...

Thank you for all the information!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Úrsula said...

Thank you for all the information!

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is wheat safe / starch free?

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow..this is awesome..Thanks for the tips and for those nutritional foods that you had posted it will do a big help for everyone..

Best regards,
Rachel
seattle chiropractic

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Alarico Adalbert said...

It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like,HIV,Epilepsy Infertility, Herpes, Hepatitis, Schizophrenia,Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Prostate Cancer,Blood Cancer,Lung Cancer,Brain Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy,Hpv,Weak Erection,Wart Remover. Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger buyrxsafe said...


https://buyrxsafe.com/gabapin-300mg is a component of Gabapentin that is part of the anticonvulsant class. It's utilized for treating epilepsy, peripheral neuropathy pain, and various other disorders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home